GARDENING QUIZ – CHRISTMAS 2020
scroll down to bottom of page for answers 1.1.21
- What plant takes it name from the Italian phrase for beautiful women?
- Which grain is used to make semolina?
- Which television presenter and gardener owns a garden in Herefordshire called Longmeadow?
- Whose garden did the Beatles sing about?
- Which garden in the Cotswolds is notable for its miles of sculptured hedges?
- Which wild flower, widespread in the UK, if touched causes a serious chemical reaction, which make skin hypersensitive to ultraviolet light?
- Names a fruity song by the Stanglers
- Which kings lived at Kew Palace at Kew Gardens?
- Soil can be acidic, alkaline or what?
- The spice, saffron, comes from which flower?
- Which insects did Adam sing with?
- Where is the biggest tree in the world, giant sequoia, found?
- RHS holds a flower show at Tatton park, what county is it in?
- What plant is used in the treatment of Leukemia?
- What yellow flowering tree is poisonous?
- What is a whip?
- On what continent did broccoli originate?
- What herb beginning with A has soothing properties?
- Who designed the Blue Peter garden in 1974?
- True or false Ericaceous plants like acid soil.
- Roughly how many varieties of avocado are there? 5,50,500 or 5,000.
- True or false Chelsea is Britain’s largest flower show.
- How long does if take to produce asparagus the first time you plant it?
- What is the definition of a deciduous tree?
- An Allotment is traditionally measured in rods or poles. 10 rods or poles is the accepted size of an allotment. What is 10 rods/poles equivalent to in square metres?
- The following are varieties of pear and apples, do you know which is a pear or an apple. Pitmaston Duchess, Crawley Beauty Beurre Hardy. Peasgood Nonsuch,
- Are Cyclamens corms or bulbs?
- When is the best time to take semi-hardwood cuttings of roses.
- The climbing plant Actinidia has a common name. What is it?
- What are the pink fungal spots often found on the surface of branches called?
31 name this flower
32. name this flower
33. name this flower
- belladonna, 2 wheat, 3 Monty Don, 4, Octopus, 5 Hidcote, 6 Giant Hogweed, 7 Peaches, 8 George II and George III, 9 neutral, 10 crocus, 11 ants, 12 californis USA, 13 Cheshire, 14 Vinca – periwinkle, 15 Laburnum, 16 young seedling or grafted tree without branches, 17 Europe, 18 Aloe Vera, 19 percy Thrower, 20 True, 21 500, 22alse,hampton court is 23 2 – 3 years, 24 sheds leaves in autumn, 25 250 square metres, 26 pear, apple, pear, apple, 27 corms 28 late summer, 29 chinese gooseberry, 30 coral spot. 31Tithonia, 32 Gloxinia, 33 Clivia